TRAINING FOR THE SUMMER SEASON HAS FINISHED. BELOW IS THE INFORMATION FROM 2012/13 SEASON.
CROSS COUNTRY TRAINING IS AVAILABLE. PLEASE EMAIL THE PRESIDENT FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Little Athletics Training Schedule for Summer 2012/13
- Monday 4:30pm - Long Distance with Sonia O'Sullivan
- Tuesday 5:30pm - Throws with Mark Beovich
- Tuesday 6pm - General & Track Coaching with Simone Albiston (Senior's Coach)
- Wednesday 5.30pm - Hurdles Coaching with Lindsay Harrison
- Thursday 6pm - General & Track Coaching with Simone Albiston (Senior's Coach)
All Training sessions are at our home track/facilities, Central Reserve, Glen Waverley.
Training is open to any LAWav athletes, U9 and above.
Training sessions are optional (but recommended) and there any no extra fee's incurred.
Our Coaches 2012/13
- Sonia O'Sullivan - Olympic Silver medalist in Sydney 2000, in the 5000m and is widely regarded as the best womens "distance runners" of the past 2 decades!
- Mark Beovich - Mark is a Level 2 Throws Coach, with many years of experience coaching Little Athletics and many school programs.
- Lindsay Harrison - Lindsay is a level 2 qualified hurdles coach and life member of LAWav.
- Andrew Rennie - Coaching Coordinator, is Level 1 qualified in all General events.
- Jenny Morley - ON TRACK qualified, for U6-8 athletes.
- Distance: Training with Sonia will cover all distances 400m and over. This is great for athletes endurance and fitness.
- Throws: The session will consist of a warm up, mobility, power and then specific drills with throws (shot put and discus) practice.
Please bring along a pair of runners, vollies or throwing shoes, a water bottle, hat and towel. Remember if it's warm to bring sunscreen!
If it rains, training will go ahead in the cricket grandstands or Little Athletics Clubrooms.
- General: The sessions will consist of "General" coaching across all areas/events in Athletics. The children will start off with a warm up, then will train in groups on a few events each week. All events will be covered. Track events will consist of sprints and hurdles. Athletes may do a circuit or even some hills!
- ON TRACK: For the Under 6-8's, ON TRACK builds and teaches the fundamental skills that athletes need to learn in all events (and every day life), as well as making learning fun. Using the method of through games, athletes will be taught to run, jump and throw.
Senior Athletics Training
- Tuesday & Thursday
If you are interested in Coaching, or have any questions, please contact the Coaching Coordinator - Andrew Rennie.